Strategyzer helps companies build new areas of growth, based on our proven methodology and technology-enabled services.
We’re looking for a mid to senior full-stack developer to build a “data through play” experience for our customers to design & test their business ideas.
You’ll be working closely with the product team to contribute to and lead feature projects. To build not-your-average lists and forms application but a realtime collaborative whiteboard experience that fuels many of Strategyzers products & services in interesting and flexible ways. We’re a small team and you’ll have a chance to make an impact in what & how we work.
What you’ll be doing
You’ll get to work on our core technology “Workspaces”. A freeform real-time collaborative whiteboarding app that embeds integrated online learning & tools to help teams design & test their business ideas.
- Build new features. You’ll get to build a product, in a culture that values outcomes & quality over quantity or time. By ideating, speccing and writing code that is easy to understand, change and well tested. Primarily all in Rails, React & Redux.
- Review code. You will perform code reviews to learn about & improve code, help spot bugs or point out security issues.
- Lead cross functional teams. You’ll get the opportunity to lead feature projects to deliver value to customers. Be accountable for outcomes. This is optional, some love to take on the extra responsibility and some prefer to focus on the code, there’s no pressure to lead. Both are welcome.
- Walk in our customers shoes. You’ll get to observe and speak with customers. Learn about them, who they are and their problems & needs. Fall in love with the problem, not the solution.
- Support our customers. You will work with support and customers to troubleshoot and fix production issues.
- Impact the product. You’ll contribute to product roadmap decisions, ideas and offer feedback. Sharing evidence and technology innovation to influence what we build.
- Improve the team. You’ll get opportunities to facilitate, lead and contribute to product initiatives like retros, workshops and meetings. Share, define and experiment with new processes, ideas or technology.
How we work
There’s lots to how we work, these are some of my favourite highlights. Feel free to reach out and ask me more tomatstrategyzer.com.
- Flexible schedules - We are a fully remote team that stretches across 15+ countries. We’re flexible in our approach to work and combine synchronous & asynchronous ways of working to match your timezone & lifestyle.
- Continuous learning - We provide a growth allowance and book budget so you can explore & learn new things.
- Meaningful meetings - We keep meetings short (always with agendas), share learnings, challenges, and laughs. Our regular retros allow us to continuously improve and maintain a healthy team dynamic.
- Take time to improve - As a dev team, every 6 weeks we improve our engineering workplace. This means you get the time to pay back technical debt, upgrades, try out promising tech and improve the design.
- Aligned autonomy - We put a lot of focus into alignment, so that you can work autonomously to achieve product goals.
We value the depth and quality of your experience, more than a specific number of years. That said, successful applicants typically have at least 3-4 years of software development experience.
- Good understanding of software patterns and best practises.
- Craftsperson who cares about quality and writes tests to describe and validate their work.
- A passion for solving customer problems through simple and effective software.
- Strong communication and written skills, we’re remote and work async.
- Open-minded, well-organised and highly self-motivated.
- Incredibly hungry and wants to make an impact on customers and team alike.
- Must [ordinarily] reside between GMT-5 and GMT+3, in order to synchronously work with common collaborators in Europe and Canada.
- Experience of working with realtime always-up-to-date apps.
- Knowledge of techniques to work with legacy code whilst keeping it working.
- Experience using RSpec, Jest, React Testing Library or Enzyme, GraphQL, AWS.
- Understanding of common vulnerabilities and how to write secure code.
- Worked on performance and know how to profile and identify issues.
At Strategyzer, our purpose is to unlock millions of people’s potential to create value for themselves, organisations, and society. We succeed when inspired people find the clarity to drive healthy growth and build invincible companies worldwide.
To achieve our mission, we’ve written many best selling books (Business Model Generation, Value Proposition Design, Testing Business Ideas, The Invincible Company, High-Impact Tools for Teams). Tools like the Business Model Canvas, from our first book, have become the go-to tool to design, pitch and iterate your business idea. We’re thought leaders (Alexander Osterwalder, Yves Pigneur & Tendayi Viki) in our industry and setting the global standard for how ideas get designed and tested. We shift mindsets to transform strategic innovation, organisation, and culture.
Now we’re building the software to enable teams to design, build & test better business ideas. We’re taking the ideas, tools & methodology from those books to build simple, clear and practical digital tools. For customers from academia, to startups and to established enterprises.
We are a fully remote team that stretches across 15+ countries. Our team contributes directly to the unique company culture we have today and is committed to transforming traditional management practises to build a truly great place to work.
These are our principles and you can find out more about us on our career page.
- Care for each other.
- Challenge ourselves and each other.
- Use visual tools.
- Obsess over customers.
- Make time to simplify
How we hire
Step 1 - Apply
Apply here and upload your CV
Step 2 - Introduction Interview
A short meeting with the product manager and engineering manager.
Step 3 - Team Interviews
2 rounds of interviews with other team members, to assess your skills and technical fit.
Step 4 - Working Simulation
A take home coding simulation
Step 5 - Reference Interview
2 interviews with referees of your choice, ideally recent managers
Step 6 - Cultural fit conversation
Opportunity to speak with our company coach
Step 7 - Offer